Monday, October 22, 2007

Brandy


As I was traveling down NW Couch Street I hear the sweet sounds of an uncommon instrument -- an accordion. Posted up against the street light is a beautiful musician who is wooing the posh Pearl District crowd, winning as many smiles as she does donations. THR3 couldn't help but stop and inquire how a young woman comes about playing an accordion in Portland's most upscale shopping neighborhood.


TIME:12:27pm
DATE: Oct. 21st, 2007
LOCATION OF INTERVIEW: Corner of NW Couch and 11th, across the street from Powell's Books


THR3: So why are playing an accordion on the street corner today in downtown Portland?

B: I am trying to make money for my junk raft. It’s on the Mississippi river – we have to buy a motor.

THR3: How much does the motor cost?

B: Well, we want a big motor and it costs $2,000. But…we might get one that is not as expensive.

THR3: When does this trip take place and when was the idea for it hatched?

B: I am originally from Portland, but I now live in New York and it started last year with a big collective – it is call the Miss Rockaway Armada. And we’ve been traveling down the Mississippi. We started in Minneapolis and we’ve traveled all the way to St. Louis, which is where we are right now. Last year’s project ended and we are starting a new part to go all the way to New Orleans. One of the boats is new that we are currently building and we have to put a motor on it. This project has been going on for the past 2 years – I think.

THR3: Where in New York is this operated from?

B: Just in the city all over. I lived in Brooklyn but it is, like, people from all over the city. Just a bunch of artists from around there. Like Cali. She does street art and stuff like that. She helped start the project. And this kid Harrison, who is from San Francisco. Just kids from all over.

THR3: So why are you back in Portland?

B: I actually came back for the weekend for my friend's wedding. It took place yesterday. And while I am here I am trying to make money.

THR3: How was the wedding?

B: It was awesome. She was my first best friend ever. But we are way different now, but it was still really fun.

THR3: Were you a bride’s maid?

B: No. I probably would have if I had stayed in Portland and been in closer contact. But we have kinda gone separate ways. But I saw a lot of my old friends, which was good. She had the traditional wedding, in a little church and the long white gown.

THR3: When did you learn to play the accordion?

B: Last year. But I have played saxophone and guitar. My friend Thomas pays the accordion. A lot of kids are playing the accordion now. So, I learned from my friends. And I taught myself how to play the piano.

THR3: This boat trip is the next big thing coming up for you?

B: The rest of this year is focused on getting to New Orleans. Hopefully we can get there before Mardi Gras. And then after that I think my friends and I are going to try and go to Europe. My friends Rocket and Lulu -- we are in a band together. Lulu plays violin and Rocket plays guitar. And we are going to go over there and play music and see the world.

No comments: