Sunday, October 21, 2007

MC Radiation


MC Radiation is a highly respected artist in the Southeast Portland (Oregon) underground hip hop community. He has been solely a "studio" rapper for the last 5 years, recording numerous hit tracks, however, to his fans disappointment, making zero live appearances. This reclusiveness came to an end Saturday night as MCR made his debut performance in front of a lucky audience of 70 or so avid underground music fans. This low key, low budget debut delivered high quality lyrics laced with extraordinary high energy from the artist and the crowd. His ferocious set kicked off with his underground cult classic "Argyle Socks" and continued with tracks that showcased the wide scope of his melodic excellency. Crowd favorites included "Mouth (the Tina Fey Song)," "The Tri-Met Song," "Larun's Song," and, the night's finale, " The Zima Song." THR3PPL had a chance to speak to MCR after his set.

THR3: MC Radiation, how do you feel about your debut concert?

MCR: I felt like it was good. I felt strong. I got stronger as the night went on. I got a semi-hard-on at one point and I just sort of rolled with it. Ya know? I felt good...really good.

THR3: What song did you think really brought the house down?

MCR: Lauren’s song. I think the crowd enjoyed that one. I heard a bit of laugher.

THR3: Why has it taken so long to give a live performance to an audience?

MCR: I really wanted you to be here and you went to Columbia for four years and that put a hiatus on it. And now that you are back in Portland you keep traveling, going off to places like Japan and shit. I just had to wait for you to be here. And tonight we were able to get it done.

THR3: Can we look forward to more shows in the recent future? Any venues you would like to play? Any particular artists you would like to perform with?

MCR: A buddy of mine met TEC-9 at a party last summer. [laughs] True story. He met Tec-9 and I guess he got Tec-9’s AOL email account or whatever. So he has been emailing him for a couple month now about me and [Tec-9] doing a gig. So I waiting on that. Also, have you heard of Devon the Dude? I don’t know him but I would like to work with him. I really don’t know at this point I am just trying to absorb today. But seriously, John Clarke said he would put me in one of his shows.

THR3: What is really, really good in your life right now?

MCR: Uhmm, I have been really depressed lately. I have been trying to get at some girls and they are not interested. This one girl I invited to the show tonight and she was like, “I am going to a wedding, so I don’t think I will be able to make it.” I was like, “Is the wedding at 8 o’clock at night? -- Probably not.” So that is not going to work out. And this other girl I didn’t even bother calling her because I know she would say no. There is really not a whole lot going on in my life that is positive.

THR3: So, the most important thing I can summarize from your answer is that you like bitches.

MCR: I do like bitches. I have a couple of potential bitches in my life right now. One is 17, the other is 30. [laughs] True stories. This is my plan right now -- and Elliott I already told about it. This is a true story. The 30 year old and I -- I am going to get with her first. And then she will help me seduce the 17 year old and sort of just hook up the threesome angle. So I am excited to work on that.

THR3: How do you prepare for a threesome with a 30 year old and a 17 year old?

MCR: Alcohol is good. Condoms. Lube. I haven’t really thought about music yet, I am going to need to put some time into that.

MCR’s friend Nathan: Like R.Kelly would be a really good choice.

MCR: R.Kelly? Really? You heard it right here. R.Kelly.


No comments: